The new X, X+ and XL smartphones will offer
"The Nokia X family will introduce the next billion people to
The Nokia X is aimed primarily at developing markets such as
Also yesterday Samsung unveiled its answer to Apple's top-of-the-range iPhone 5s, in a move set to ramp up the rivalry between the world's two biggest phone makers.
Samsung's new Galaxy S5 has a 5.1-inch screen, slightly larger than the phone it updates - the one-year-old Galaxy S4. Samsung has also given it a better camera and a heart-rate monitor.
But the biggest addition is a fingerprint scanner which, like the one on the iPhone 5s, is built into the home button. However while the iPhone version can be used to unlock the phone and verify purchases at Apple's app store, users can teach the Samsung phone to recognise three different fingerprints and can then swipe their finger across the home button to unlock the phone rather than having to key in a code.
In a considerable expansion of the technology, Samsung has also partnered with online payment provider PayPal to enable a range of online purchases to be verified with the swipe of a finger.
Most Popular Stories
- #myNYPD Twitter Campaign Backfires for NYPD
- NRA Seeks Universal Concealed Carry Permits
- FCC May Allow Companies to Pay for Internet Priority
- Money Market Fund Assets up by $7.32 Billion
- Pols Back Away From Bundy After Racist Statements
- Durable Goods Orders Rose More Than Expected
- First-time Jobless Claims Jump by 24,000
- Hillary Clinton to UConn: 'Take a Stand'
- Molina Adding Hundreds of Jobs in Michigan
- Putin Says Internet Is CIA Plot