ISTANBUL (CIHAN)- The number of houses sold in
The surge in sales was due to lower mortgage costs and declining interest rates during the last year and an increase in the housing stock, particularly because of massive production by the
The city that saw the largest number of sales was Istanbul with 234,789, comprising 20.3 percent of total sales in 2013. Out of the house deeds changing hands across
According to the
In January, for the first time, TurkStat began making a distinction between first and "second-hand," or previously owned home, sales. A first sale means simply the sale of a house for the first time since its construction, while a second-hand sale is any sale not directly from the builder or contractor.
First-time sales for the first month of the year amounted to 40,155, making up 45.8 percent of all house sales in
House sales to foreigners rose in January when compared to the same month of the previous year. In that month, 1,207 houses were sold to non-Turks. This number was 12,181 for all of 2013. In terms of house sales to foreigners, Antalya was the first province, with 464 sales in January of this year. Those following Antalya were Istanbul with 243 house sales, Sakarya with 119, Mugla with 75 and Aydin with 70 house sales.
(Cihan/Today's Zaman) CIHAN
Most Popular Stories
- Chobani Counters Competition With Expanded Lineup
- Reid: Bundy Backers Are 'Domestic Terrorists'
- Ex-BP Employee Settles Insider Trading Charges
- Venture Investments in U.S. Highest Since 2001
- Colo. Cleantech Program Calls for Entrepreneurs
- Hiring Fair for Veterans, Job Seekers
- Unemployment Rates Down, Job Gains Up in March
- Recordings Reveal a Not-So-Nice Martinez: Editorial
- VW Beetle Marks 65th Year in U.S.
- The Biebs Crashes Drake's Release Party