Financing will be the "biggest challenge" for shipowners in 2014, with small, non-listed companies left out in the cold,
"Fundraising will continue to be the biggest challenge that shipowners will have to face during 2014," said Hashim, managing director of
The review noted that traditional shipping banks were either unloading their portfolios or exiting ship finance completely. "However, non-traditional lenders have, and will continue to come, to the rescue of shipowners," said Hashim.
A major source for many in recent times has been from equity and debt markets. In an apparent reference to companies such as
It was noted such sources of finance tend to be much more expensive than traditional lending and can open or shut very quickly depending on market conditions.
Most Popular Stories
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- FDIC Sues Big Banks Over Rate Manipulation
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- FDIC Accuses Big Banks of Fraud, Conspiracy
- Stocks Close Lower Ahead of Crimea Vote
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March
- Jittery Investors Dumping Russian Stocks
- Is Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in Andaman Sea?
- Ulta Shares Look Good on Strong Q4