Financing will be the "biggest challenge" for shipowners in 2014, with small, non-listed companies left out in the cold,
"Fundraising will continue to be the biggest challenge that shipowners will have to face during 2014," said Hashim, managing director of
The review noted that traditional shipping banks were either unloading their portfolios or exiting ship finance completely. "However, non-traditional lenders have, and will continue to come, to the rescue of shipowners," said Hashim.
A major source for many in recent times has been from equity and debt markets. In an apparent reference to companies such as
It was noted such sources of finance tend to be much more expensive than traditional lending and can open or shut very quickly depending on market conditions.
Most Popular Stories
- Chobani Counters Competition With Expanded Lineup
- GM Boosting China Production Capacity
- Jack White Records Songs, Releases Vinyl in Hours
- 420 Pot Holiday Tries To Go Mainstream
- Automakers Turn to China to Fuel Sales Growth
- Malaysia, Flight 370 Relatives Talk Financial Help
- 'Beige Book' Federal Reserve Survey, April 2014: Full Text
- Delay in Ferry Evacuation Puzzles Maritime Experts
- Report: Next Iran Nuclear Talks Set for New York
- Easter morning delivery for space station