Road transporters will be locked out of the Inland Container Depot in Embakasi as part of financing deal for the standard gauge railway.
Under the agreement
We find this arrangement ridiculous and in direct contravention of the principles of a free economy such as
Why should the operator of the new railway be handed an unfair monopoly on the route? We are of the view that the forces of demand and supply should be allowed to play without placing unfair blockades to the activities of truckers. Both parties should compete freely.
Protectionism works against sound service delivery and this should be avoided in the railway project.
The government should find other avenues of financing the project without compromising the principles of a free market economy.
Most Popular Stories
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Republican Jolly Wins Fla. Special Election
- Senate Dems Pull All-Nighter on Global Warming
- World Wide Web Turns 25
- Obama Seeks Overtime Pay for Salaried Workers
- Copper Plunges on China Jitters
- Vestas Ramps Up Hiring to Build Wind Turbines
- Justin Bieber Comes Between Taylor Swift and Selena Gomez
- U.S. Stocks Sink for 3rd Day in a Row
- Menendez Introduces Tough Sanctions Against Russia