However, the wealth management and capital markets businesses are expected to pick up the slack as the country's big financial institutions prepare to report their first-quarter earnings this week.
"I think wealth management is going to drive earnings within
Wong said there also has been a pickup in merger and acquisition deals that will help the investment banking operations at the banks.
"That might help boost some of the revenues on the capital markets side," he said.
The country's big banks are coming off record annual profits last year and big gains for their stock, but analysts have downplayed the prospects of a repeat performance.
"With the better tone to the capital markets during the quarter, combined with the fact that the first quarter of the year is typically a seasonally strong one for those revenues, we look for a solid start to the year from the group," Sedran wrote in a note to clients.
Retail banking has been the bread and butter for Canadian banks in recent years, but it isn't expected to continue to be where the growth will come from going forward.
Home sales in
"We anticipate further moderation in consumer lending volumes, but do expect some relative stability in overall margins.
"Lower levels of expenses may help lift earnings, however we continue to believe that significant positive operating leverage will be difficult to achieve in 2014 as revenue growth slows."
Aiken suggested dividend increases may be possible for
Sedran expected increased dividends from
Most Popular Stories
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- Visa, MasterCard Team Up to Focus on Payment Security
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum
- China Urges Malaysia Flight Emergency Response
- Taco Bell Rings Up Breakfast Menu
- Sunday Starts Daylight Saving Time
- For Obama, a Last Stab at Improving Ties with Capitol Hill
- Three Americans on Missing Malaysia Airlines Plane: State Department
- California Establishes Center for Coffee Study