An ambitious effort to roll out smartphones powered by new software is in the offing with tech giants like Samsung and
Samsung, DoCoMo of
Tizen is Linux-based just like Android. It is a standards-based software platform for multiple device categories, including smartphones, tablets, net-books, in-vehicle devices, smart TVs, and more.
The new platform is backed by handset manufacturers Samsung,
Already, several strategies have been mooted. In one, Samsung and
Besides, Samsung has hosted a number of conferences aimed at luring third party apps developers and other interested parties. Like most open software, Tizen's future rests with an ecosystem of world-wide developers, device makers and carriers.
The battle for supremacy in the smartphone category has over the years pitted Android devices against Apple iOS devices. The intra-Android competition has not stifled companies from keeping Android as the cornerstone of their respective smartphone strategies, but has fed the urge to innovate. This has propelled the Android platform into a runaway success despite issues of fragmentation and security.
According to the
Looking back results, the Android operating system grabbed the lion's share of the market with 70.1 per cent against Apple's iOS of 21 per cent, during the fourth quarter of 2012. Samsung took 42.0 per cent of all Android smart phone shipments during that year.
Given the stiff competition in the mobile world, it is not surprising that runaway success and imminent death for a number of mobile platforms co-exist. The fear of drowning and delays in launch are threats to Tizen's survival in the murky waters of mobile competition.
For example, some carriers have delayed or shelved plans to launch Tizen-based devices.
Another carrier, Sprint, which joined the
Survival of the fittest is the name of the game in the mobile sector. This can be clearly demonstrated by
Most Popular Stories
- Chobani Counters Competition With Expanded Lineup
- Iran Denounces U.S. Ruling to Sell Property
- NASA's Space Station Robonaut Finally Getting Legs
- Confusion, Anger as Sunken Ferry's Relatives Wait
- Report: Iran VP Says Row Over Reactor Resolved
- Nevada Range Showdown Draws Armed Supporters
- Ohio Couple Married 70 Years, Die 15 Hours Apart
- Fiat Chrysler to Build 3 Jeeps in China
- Putin: No Blocks to Boosting Relations With West
- Hawaii is Genetically Engineered Crop Flash Point