Technology giants Apple and Samsung remained the world's largest buyers of semiconductor chips in 2013, a new report from IHS Technology has revealed.
IHS said as the two rivals have intensified the battle to win the hearts and minds of consumers with their product offerings and have taken their rivalry to chip expenditure after topping the semiconductor spenders' rankings.
"As in 2012, Apple and Samsung were the top semiconductor spenders in 2013 among original equipment manufacturers (OEM) making more than
IHS said the two mobile devices giants claimed about 14% of total spending in 2013, well ahead of other prominent OEM chip buyers.
IHS pointed out that in the top five are
The rest of the top 10 includes
According to IHS the served available market (SAM) for semiconductor spending reached
The SAM metric counts only expenditures that an OEM made as an external agent, which gives a truer picture of the state of chip spending in the electronics industry, the IHS report stated.
Most Popular Stories
- Chobani Counters Competition With Expanded Lineup
- Nevada Range Showdown Draws Armed Supporters
- 'Beige Book' Federal Reserve Survey, April 2014: Full Text
- Iran Denounces U.S. Ruling to Sell Property
- Report: Iran VP Says Row Over Reactor Resolved
- NASA's Space Station Robonaut Finally Getting Legs
- Confusion, Anger as Sunken Ferry's Relatives Wait
- Fiat Chrysler to Build 3 Jeeps in China
- Ohio Couple Married 70 Years, Die 15 Hours Apart
- Hawaii is Genetically Engineered Crop Flash Point