Guaranteeing money for the
Now government and opposition MPs are on the same page about a Commons study into the music industry as a whole, set to begin this week.
It's the first time the Canadian Heritage committee has undertaken such a study.
In the last decade, the music industry has gone through a revolution as consumers shifted to digital downloads from CDs.
Figures from the
"You have an industry in full revolution and need to look very carefully at how the federal government can adapt its own help," said Dion.
Said NDP heritage critic
Currently, the federal government supports the industry through both monetary and regulatory measures. On the cash front, the
As Johnston describes it, Canadian labels have gone from focusing on a few pots of money for their livelihoods, such as CD sales and concerts, to dipping into myriad pots _ some only producing pennies at a time, such as royalties from streaming music.
And these small businesses have also had to figure out how to properly reach consumers in a vast domestic and international digital marketplace. Making sure the funding helps in those specific areas would be one area for tweaking, Johnston suggests.
"No longer do (the labels) record their great artists and they use technology to distribute and post it, but they have to use that same technology to discover where their fan bases are and discover new fans and help those fans discover new artists," said Johnston.
"So you have to sort of be able to rise above the noise in many ways. So there's another challenge but also a fantastic opportunity."
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder
- Is Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in Andaman Sea?
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet