THE rand retreated against the US dollar today, weighed down by continued labour strife in the mines, which compounded the impact of a generally risk-averse global market environment.
The rand was quoted at 11.0350 to the dollar, down 0.36 percent from yesterday's close.
As with other emerging market currencies, the rand has wilted in the wake of hawkish comments from the US Federal Reserve, soft manufacturing data out of
The rand dropped a couple of cents today after police said a miner was killed by a group of men at a mine belonging to
"The rand is once again looking vulnerable to extended weakness in the near term,"
Government bonds were not far off yesterday's closing levels, with yields for the benchmark 2026 and 2015 bonds each shedding 1 basis point to 8.655 percent and 7.34 percent respectively. - Reuters
Most Popular Stories
- Chobani Counters Competition With Expanded Lineup
- Pope Francis, Huge Crowd Joyously Celebrate Easter
- Automakers Turn to China to Fuel Sales Growth
- GM Boosting China Production Capacity
- GOP Making Bold Play for Oregon Senate Seat
- Report: Iran VP Says Row Over Reactor Resolved
- Confusion, Anger as Sunken Ferry's Relatives Wait
- Delay in Ferry Evacuation Puzzles Maritime Experts
- NASA's Space Station Robonaut Finally Getting Legs
- Putin: No Blocks to Boosting Relations With West