The proposed actions include facilitating closer cooperation and dialogue across
European Commissioner for Maritime Affairs and Fisheries, Maria Damanaki, said: "Coastal and maritime tourism was identified in our 'Blue Growth' strategy as one of the key drivers for creating growth and new jobs, particularly in our coastal areas which often suffer from high unemployment. As the largest maritime economic activity and the economic backbone of many of our coastal regions it is our responsibility to help this sector develop and prosper."
Vice-President of the
Despite its undoubted potential, the sector faces a number of challenges which the strategy seeks to address. These include gaps in data and knowledge, volatile demand, high seasonality, a lack of adequate skills and innovation, and difficulties accessing financing. The actions in the strategy unveiled today focus on helping the sector overcome these obstacles and create an environment which will attract investment. At the same time, it will make the sector's activities sustainable, preserve natural and cultural heritage, reap significant economic and environmental benefits, and help make the sector more competitive globally.
Coastal and maritime tourism includes beach-based and nautical, cruising or boating tourism and is an essential driver for the economy of many coastal regions and islands in
It employs almost 3.2 million people, generating a total of
Unlocking the potential of coasts and seas would contribute to the wealth and well-being of coastal regions and the EU's economy in general, while ensuring a sustainable and long-term development of all tourism-related activities.
Today's strategy will be discussed at a Conference organised with the Greek Presidency on 10 March in
For more information
*Coastal tourism webpage on Directorate General Maritime Affairs website: http://ec.europa.eu/maritimeaffairs/policy/coastal_tourism/index_en.htm
*Tourism webpage on
TNS 30FurigayJane-140221-4643611 30FurigayJane
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- Will Missing Malaysian Jet Prompt Aviation System Change?
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Obama Seeks to Stay Neutral in CIA-Senate Conflict