Astrobotic Technology (http://www.astrobotic.com/), which is attempting to win the Google Lunar XPRIZE in partnership with
CMU will lead the effort in the Mobility category, which will demonstrate that the rover can survive the vacuum and extreme cold of the moon, as well as show that it can complete and document a 500-meter traverse on the lunar surface.
Astrobotic is slated in
The Google Lunar XPRIZE is offering rewards totaling
"Google Lunar XPRIZE has made a fantastic commitment to nurturing the teams that are steadily advancing toward mission readiness," said
Of the five teams selected for the Accomplishment Round of the Milestone Prizes, Astrobotic is one of just two that is eligible for cash award in all three categories. Astrobotic will receive
In the Landing category, Astrobotic will demonstrate that its vision-guided landing sensor package can identify terrain landmarks, detect surface hazards and perform other tasks necessary for a safe, precise landing on the moon. In the Imaging category, Astrobotic will demonstrate that it can capture the type and quality of video images specified for the Google Lunar XPRIZE.
Spun out of
"Just as private industry is now routinely delivering cargo to the
"We are grateful that both
TNS 18DejucosGrace-140221-30FurigayJane-4643666 30FurigayJane
Most Popular Stories
- Chobani Counters Competition With Expanded Lineup
- Reid: Bundy Backers Are 'Domestic Terrorists'
- Ex-BP Employee Settles Insider Trading Charges
- Venture Investments in U.S. Highest Since 2001
- Colo. Cleantech Program Calls for Entrepreneurs
- Hiring Fair for Veterans, Job Seekers
- Unemployment Rates Down, Job Gains Up in March
- Recordings Reveal a Not-So-Nice Martinez: Editorial
- VW Beetle Marks 65th Year in U.S.
- The Biebs Crashes Drake's Release Party