Astrobotic Technology (http://www.astrobotic.com/), which is attempting to win the Google Lunar XPRIZE in partnership with
CMU will lead the effort in the Mobility category, which will demonstrate that the rover can survive the vacuum and extreme cold of the moon, as well as show that it can complete and document a 500-meter traverse on the lunar surface.
Astrobotic is slated in
The Google Lunar XPRIZE is offering rewards totaling
"Google Lunar XPRIZE has made a fantastic commitment to nurturing the teams that are steadily advancing toward mission readiness," said
Of the five teams selected for the Accomplishment Round of the Milestone Prizes, Astrobotic is one of just two that is eligible for cash award in all three categories. Astrobotic will receive
In the Landing category, Astrobotic will demonstrate that its vision-guided landing sensor package can identify terrain landmarks, detect surface hazards and perform other tasks necessary for a safe, precise landing on the moon. In the Imaging category, Astrobotic will demonstrate that it can capture the type and quality of video images specified for the Google Lunar XPRIZE.
Spun out of
"Just as private industry is now routinely delivering cargo to the
"We are grateful that both
TNS 18DejucosGrace-140221-30FurigayJane-4643666 30FurigayJane
Most Popular Stories
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- FDIC Sues Big Banks Over Rate Manipulation
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder
- Is Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in Andaman Sea?
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- FDIC Accuses Big Banks of Fraud, Conspiracy
- Stocks Close Lower Ahead of Crimea Vote
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March
- Ulta Shares Look Good on Strong Q4
- Jittery Investors Dumping Russian Stocks