The loss followed two straight weeks of gains for the benchmark index.
The S&P 500 was higher for much of the day but turned lower in the last hour of trading Friday. It ended with a loss of three points, or 0.2 percent, at 1,836. It lost 0.1 percent for the week.
The Dow Jones industrial average slipped 30 points, or 0.2 percent, to 16,103. The Nasdaq composite fell four points, or 0.1 percent, 4,263.
Most Popular Stories
- Chobani Counters Competition With Expanded Lineup
- Nevada Range Showdown Draws Armed Supporters
- 'Beige Book' Federal Reserve Survey, April 2014: Full Text
- Iran Denounces U.S. Ruling to Sell Property
- Report: Iran VP Says Row Over Reactor Resolved
- NASA's Space Station Robonaut Finally Getting Legs
- Confusion, Anger as Sunken Ferry's Relatives Wait
- Fiat Chrysler to Build 3 Jeeps in China
- Ohio Couple Married 70 Years, Die 15 Hours Apart
- Hawaii is Genetically Engineered Crop Flash Point