That added to negative sentiment from news that some U.S. Federal Reserve policymakers believe short-term interest rates should be raised sooner than markets had been anticipating.
European stocks lost ground in early trading, with
"Markets will see a correction for a while as
Stocks were down in
Minutes of the Fed's last meeting revealed that some policymakers "raised the possibility that it might be appropriate to increase the federal funds rate relatively soon."
That came as an unwelcome surprise to many investors, who haven't had to worry about increases in the Federal Reserve's benchmark short-term interest rate for about five years.
Investors are waiting for a Group of 20 meeting of finance ministers and central bankers in
In energy market, benchmark U.S. oil for March delivery was down
In currencies, the euro edged down 0.2 percent to
Most Popular Stories
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder
- FDIC Sues Big Banks Over Rate Manipulation
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March