NOAA's "Hurricane Hunters" will be the first aircraft to fly the Rolls-Royce T56 engine enhancement, known as the Series 3.5. While C-130 flight tests and engine ground tests have shown significant improvement over requirements, the Series 3.5 package requirements call for a 7.9 per cent fuel reduction.
In addition to reduced fuel consumption, the enhancement package allows T56 engines to operate at significantly lower turbine temperatures, extending parts life and improving reliability by 22 percent.
The P-3 Series 3.5 flight test and qualification program, supported by
The engine enhancement package is in the final stages of completing all requirements for
The T56 Series 3.5 engine enhancement can be installed as part of a conventional engine overhaul, and does not require any aircraft or engine control system modifications. In addition to USAF and NOAA, international operators of C-130 and P-3 aircraft are also considering incorporating the T56 engine enhancement into their fleets.
Most Popular Stories
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- Rand Paul Tops Presidential Straw Poll at Conservative PAC Conference
- Tesla's Alt-Energy Future Aims for Massive Lithium-Ion Battery Production
- New Chat App, Yik Yak, Causes Problems for Students
- China Urges Malaysia Flight Emergency Response
- Gas Prices May Jump from Calif. Emissions Law
- Visa, MasterCard Team Up to Focus on Payment Security
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum
- Obama Meets with Ukraine Prime Minister Wednesday