NOAA's "Hurricane Hunters" will be the first aircraft to fly the Rolls-Royce T56 engine enhancement, known as the Series 3.5. While C-130 flight tests and engine ground tests have shown significant improvement over requirements, the Series 3.5 package requirements call for a 7.9 per cent fuel reduction.
In addition to reduced fuel consumption, the enhancement package allows T56 engines to operate at significantly lower turbine temperatures, extending parts life and improving reliability by 22 percent.
The P-3 Series 3.5 flight test and qualification program, supported by
The engine enhancement package is in the final stages of completing all requirements for
The T56 Series 3.5 engine enhancement can be installed as part of a conventional engine overhaul, and does not require any aircraft or engine control system modifications. In addition to USAF and NOAA, international operators of C-130 and P-3 aircraft are also considering incorporating the T56 engine enhancement into their fleets.
Most Popular Stories
- Chobani Counters Competition With Expanded Lineup
- Automakers Turn to China to Fuel Sales Growth
- Pope Francis, Huge Crowd Joyously Celebrate Easter
- GM Boosting China Production Capacity
- GOP Making Bold Play for Oregon Senate Seat
- Delay in Ferry Evacuation Puzzles Maritime Experts
- Report: Iran VP Says Row Over Reactor Resolved
- NASA's Space Station Robonaut Finally Getting Legs
- Confusion, Anger as Sunken Ferry's Relatives Wait
- Iran Denounces U.S. Ruling to Sell Property