Our news journalists obtained a quote from the research, "Here, we report a low-temperature study of the nanoporous 'chicken-wire' superstructure formed by TMA molecules adsorbed on a Au(111) surface. Distinct preferential orientations of the porous networks on Au(111) lead to the formation of peculiar TMA polymorphs that are stabilized only at the boundary between rotational molecular domains. Scanning tunneling microscopy (STM) and spectroscopy are used to investigate the electronic properties of both the molecular building blocks and the pores. Sub-molecular-resolution imaging and spatially resolved electronic spectroscopy reveal a remarkable change in the appearance of the molecules in the STM image's at energies in the range of the lowest unoccupied molecular orbital, accompanied by highly extended molecular wave functions into the pores. The electronic structure of the pores reflects a weak confinement of surface electrons by the TMA network."
According to the news editors, the research concluded: "Our experimental observations are corroborated by density-functional-theory-based calculations of the nanoporous structure adsorbed on Au(111)."
For more information on this research see: Probing the
The news correspondents report that additional information may be obtained from V. Iancu,
Keywords for this news article include:
Our reports deliver fact-based news of research and discoveries from around the world. Copyright 2014, NewsRx LLC
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March
- Is Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in Andaman Sea?
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign