Obey said this during the Social Media Week programme held in
In his presentation titled 'NEMA and
Obey defined social platform as the use of new media for social interactions which include networking sites such as facebook, twitter, flickr and linkedln.
He observed that more than five million Nigerians used the most popular site -- '
"There is great potential for social media to provide real-time status of the situation on ground during a disaster or incident and could also be used to alert first responders in advance of any incident.
"We want to promote and create awareness on the effective use of the social media to assist the government in mitigating disaster in the country.
"We found out that social media platforms are good tools in aid of disaster management especially facebook and twitter are important platforms in elevating disaster.
"The Social Media Week in
According to him,
He said the social media could be effectively used to get attention, spread the news, get feedback, provide support and organise a strong work force.
He said that the social media assisted NEMA to get quick information and feedback of any incident for immediate response.
He further urged other government and private organisations to get involved in the social media platform for quick accessibility and for solving urgent issues which might involve lives and property.
Some of the participants at the event, commended the efforts of NEMA in providing simple ways of obtaining information during emergencies.
"All government offices in the country should embrace the social media networking system for easy communication and solving problems outside the office premises; it is very encouraging," she said.
Omoniyi called on the communication industry to improve on the ICT in the country, to enable the public to enjoy free services such as WiFi, for quick report of emergencies, crimes or disasters. (NAN)
Most Popular Stories
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Tesla's Alt-Energy Future Aims for Massive Lithium-Ion Battery Production
- FAA to Appeal Court Decision Allowing Commercial Drone Use
- Rand Paul Tops Presidential Straw Poll at Conservative PAC Conference
- California Establishes Center for Coffee Study
- New Chat App, Yik Yak, Causes Problems for Students
- Sunday Starts Daylight Saving Time
- Arriola Takes Charge at SoCalGas
- Obama Meets with Ukraine Prime Minister Wednesday