EDMONTON, Alberta, Feb. 19 -- Western Economic Diversification Canada issued the following news release:
The Honourable Rona Ambrose, Minister of Health, Regional Minister for Northern Alberta and Member of Parliament for Edmonton--Spruce Grove, announced support for the La Perle Community Hall and the Rio Terrace Community Centre under the Harper Government's Community Infrastructure Improvement Fund (CIIF).
In Economic Action Plan 2012, the Harper Government announced further support to help communities across the country modernize their infrastructure. The Fund supports projects that look to improve existing community infrastructure accessible for use by the public, such as community centres, recreational buildings, local arenas, cultural and other community facilities.
- The La Perle Community Hall and the Rio Terrace Community Centre received a combined total of $112,101 through the Community Infrastructure Improvement Fund.
- An $83,331 investment toward La Perle Community Hall has helped modernize the facility by repairing and replacing the walls, flooring and light fixtures.
- An investment of $28,770 has helped the Rio Terrace Community Centre replace two portions of the roof, which will increase the life-span and sustainability of the facility.
""Our Government is proud to support these valuable community facilities in the Edmonton area. By making investments in local infrastructure we are creating jobs and economic growth while strengthening our communities.""
- The Honourable Rona Ambrose, Minister of Health, Regional Minister for Northern Alberta and Parliament for Edmonton--Spruce Grove
""Across Alberta, community halls serve as cultural hubs, offering youth and families an opportunity to connect with their friends and neighbours and helping to create welcoming and inclusive communities. We are proud to partner with the La Perle Community League, the City of Edmonton and the Government of Canada by providing a Community Facility Enhancement Program grant of $39,250 as we continue Building Alberta.""
- Heather Klimchuk, Minister of Culture, Province of Alberta
""The City of Edmonton has invested $39,250 through the Community League Infrastructure Program for interior renovations to the La Perle Community League Hall. Investing in community facilities like this reflects City Council's commitment to building stronger communities, and a vibrant, welcoming city for current residents and future generations.""
- Don Iveson, Mayor, City of Edmonton
""The La Perle Community is proud to partner with the federal government to complete the renovation of our Community Hall. The Hall has been a prominent landmark within our mature community for many years and has provided a central meeting point to hold festivals, celebrations, children's activities, and other various programs. The Community Infrastructure Improvement Fund has enabled the community to restore this important landmark, to help ensure our future generations are able to continue to provide these valuable programs for the benefit of the La Perle Community.""
- Trevor Eliott, President, La Perle Community League
""The Rio Terrace Community Centre is a gathering place for the families living in our west end neighborhood. We host many social events and programs under our roof each year. Our Centre also welcomes many residents living outside the community for participation in fitness classes, children's summer programs and social events. The roof of our building was in urgent need of replacement, and with support from the Community Infrastructure Improvement Fund, we were able to replace both portions of our centre's roof. We believe it is important to maintain our community resources and this investment from the federal government was greatly appreciated!""
- Rhonda Holterhus, Community Volunteer, Rio Terrace Community League
- Backgrounder: http://www.wd.gc.ca/eng/18263.asp
- La Perle Community Hall: https://sites.google.com/site/laperlecommunityleague/
- Rio Terrace Community Centre: http://www.rioterrace.ca/
TNS 18EstebanLiz-140220-30FurigayJane-4642053 30FurigayJane