After the sale of the competing mobile messenger service,
"Understanding that the valuation is not really comparable, engagement metrics of BBM stack up well with WhatsApp and this deal does highlight the value of messaging platforms," Penner said in a note to investors.
Shares of BlackBerry rose four per cent, or
Last year, BlackBerry made the once exclusively BlackBerry chat application available for iPhones and devices that use the Android operating system as part of a plan to reinvigorate interest in BBM with a goal of eventually monetizing the platform.
The more open version of BlackBerry Messenger immediately took off and had about 80 million users at the end of last quarter but still is far short of the 450 million users on WhatsApp.
While BlackBerry hasn't indicated that BBM is up for sale, chief executive
In a roundtable interview with reporters at the BlackBerry's headquarters in December, Chen said he was considering the option of selling versions of BBM with designs that catered to specific employers.
Follow (at)dj_friend on
Most Popular Stories
- Major Phone Makers Sign Anti-Phone-Theft Pledge
- College Board Offers a Sneak Peak at New SAT
- 'Beige Book' Federal Reserve Survey, April 2014: Full Text
- Salsa Legend Cheo Feliciano Killed in Car Crash
- Earthlike Planet Found in Red Dwarf's Goldilocks Zone
- New Auto Plant to Create 155 Jobs in Kentucky
- Miss. Gov. Signs Bills to Curb Unions
- Hiring and Weekly Jobless Claims Both Edge Up
- Generating Solar Power in the Dark
- Google Q1 Earnings Dip as Ad Prices Slip