After the sale of the competing mobile messenger service,
"Understanding that the valuation is not really comparable, engagement metrics of BBM stack up well with WhatsApp and this deal does highlight the value of messaging platforms," Penner said in a note to investors.
Shares of BlackBerry rose four per cent, or
Last year, BlackBerry made the once exclusively BlackBerry chat application available for iPhones and devices that use the Android operating system as part of a plan to reinvigorate interest in BBM with a goal of eventually monetizing the platform.
The more open version of BlackBerry Messenger immediately took off and had about 80 million users at the end of last quarter but still is far short of the 450 million users on WhatsApp.
While BlackBerry hasn't indicated that BBM is up for sale, chief executive
In a roundtable interview with reporters at the BlackBerry's headquarters in December, Chen said he was considering the option of selling versions of BBM with designs that catered to specific employers.
Follow (at)dj_friend on
Most Popular Stories
- Dmytro Firtash, Ukrainian Billionaire, Arrested in Vienna
- Obama, Ukraine Discuss Russian Incursion in Crimea
- Republicans Warn Obama on Immigration
- Obama's Overtime Initiative Praised, Condemned
- Liberty Media Drops Sirius Bid
- West Readies Harsh Sanctions Against Russia
- Calumet Photo Files for Bankruptcy
- Lady Gaga Roasts Self on Spit at SXSW
- Drake Wins Big MTV's Woodie Awards at SXSW
- Uli Hoeness, Bayern Munich President, Gets Prison for Tax Evasion