The Dow Jones industrial average was up 29 points, or 0.2 percent, to 16,161 in the first few minutes of trading Wednesday.
The Standard & Poor's 500 index fell half a point to 1,840 and the Nasdaq composite fell 10 points, or 0.2 percent, to 4,262.
Later Wednesday the Federal Reserve will release the minutes from its most recent policy meeting.
Most Popular Stories
- Chinese May Have Spotted Malaysia Airlines Debris
- Why Buffett Bets Big on Green Energy
- Better Pay Means Bigger Profits: Strategist
- 3 Shot Dead in Venezuela Unrest
- Banks Buying Little From Minority Firms: Study
- Several Texas Cities Top Job Search List
- Senate Committee OKs Bill to Sanction Russia
- Wall Street Rally Heads Off 3rd Day of Decline
- G7 Presses Russia to Pull Troops Out of Crimea
- Obama's 'Between Two Ferns' Appearance Has Conservatives Upset