An extra charge of Dh2 for credit and debit cards and Dh1 for Nol cards will be levied for every transaction.
"Currently 20 taxis in
RTA has joined hands with
"The way it will work is that all taxis will be fitted with a system with General Packet Radio Service (GPRS) connecting taxi meters to a central server which will immediately process the taxi fare payments," explained
Taxi users will also be able to pay their fares through mobile phones via an application called Near Field Communication (NFC). All that commuters will have to do is tap their mobile (not swipe) on the taxi meter and it will automatically deduct the taxi fare from their phone.
"For payment via NFC-enabled mobile phones, customers can purchase a special NFC-enabled SIM card from their mobile service provider. Once the new SIM card is placed in the phone and the account is topped up, the mobile will work just like a Nol card and can be used to make payments for taxi fare.
The NFC Nol accounts can be topped up either through the ticket counters at Dubai Metro or bus stations. The top-up can also be done online at www.nol.ae through the unique number that will appear on mobile screens once the NFC SIM is placed in the smartphone," said Trivedi,
Most Popular Stories
- Major Phone Makers Sign Anti-Phone-Theft Pledge
- College Board Offers a Sneak Peak at New SAT
- 'Beige Book' Federal Reserve Survey, April 2014: Full Text
- Salsa Legend Cheo Feliciano Killed in Car Crash
- Miss. Gov. Signs Bills to Curb Unions
- Hiring and Weekly Jobless Claims Both Edge Up
- Yellen Remarks, Market Data Give Stocks a Boost
- Chevrolet's Small SUV Coming to the U.S.
- Is This Job Too Good to Be True?
- Yahoo Struggles Despite Alibaba Boost