Pharrell Williams has announced he will be releasing his second solo album, "G I R L" on Monday, March 3, following the announcement that his single "Happy" was nominated for an Oscar.
(See album cover art below)
The singer currently is in London, where he will perform the catchy "Happy" at the BRIT Awards. He also is scheduled to perform the single at the 86th Annual Academy Awards on Sunday, March 2.
"When Columbia Records presented me with the opportunity to make an album, three things came to mind," Williams said in a statement. "One was the sense of overwhelming honor that I felt when I realized that they were interested in partnering with me on the album that I had always dreamt of making. Two, it would have to feel festive and urgent. And three, I instantly knew it would be called G I R L. I hope you like it."
Pharrell also will perform on Germany's Wetten Das and France's Le Grand Journal later this month. Just last month, Williams was on the Grammy's stage accepting four awards, including Producer of the Year and Album of the Year for Daft Punk's Random Access Memories. In total, Williams has won seven Grammy Awards.
While this is only the entertainer's second album, he has collaborated with a number of chart-toppers, including Justin Timberlake, Britney Spears, Robin Thicke and Jay Z. He is also part of the alt-rock/hip-hop group N.E.R.D. with Chad Hugo and Shae Haley. However, he started his producing career as one half of The Neptunes with Hugo. In 2010 he was named Billboard's Producer of the Decade.
Music is not his only passion. Williams also is an artistic designer. He has designed sculptures with Tokyo-born artist Takashi Murakami and accessories and jewelry for luxury goods brands Louis Vuitton and Moncler. He recently founded i am OTHER, which is a multi-media creative collective that serves as an umbrella for all his endeavors, including Billionaire Boys Club & ICECREAM apparel and textile company Bionic Yarn.
The cover of G I R L:
Watch the video for "Happy" below:
SOURCE Columbia Records
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Will Missing Malaysian Jet Prompt Aviation System Change?