Mobile PCs and smartphones will represent the top revenue opportunities for high-speed wireless integrated circuit (IC) suppliers by 2018, according to a new report from analyst firm IHS Technology.
The research firm predicted that devices are projected to be the highest volume applications in this segment over the next five years, and between 2013 and 2018, more than 400m units high-speed wireless ICs will have been shipped.
IHS also projected that ICs shipped cumulatively into the mobile PC market during this period will generate global revenue of
The company added that during the same period, more than 80m high-speed wireless ICs are expected to ship cumulatively into the smartphone market, with worldwide revenue forecast to exceed
"The primary use cases for high-speed wireless mobile PCs will span both the consumer and enterprise markets," said
The company stated that it expected annual shipments of high-speed wireless-enabled smartphones to reach 36m devices in 2018, largely driven by the adoption of 60GHz technology. IHS said the primary use for high-speed wireless smartphones is expected to be HD video streaming from the smartphone to the TV within the home entertainment network.
Most Popular Stories
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- Rand Paul Tops Presidential Straw Poll at Conservative PAC Conference
- Tesla's Alt-Energy Future Aims for Massive Lithium-Ion Battery Production
- New Chat App, Yik Yak, Causes Problems for Students
- China Urges Malaysia Flight Emergency Response
- Gas Prices May Jump from Calif. Emissions Law
- Obama Meets with Ukraine Prime Minister Wednesday
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum
- Visa, MasterCard Team Up to Focus on Payment Security