Analysts reckoned on the index levelling off, around one per cent shy of a peak hit in late January, before political and economic concerns in emerging markets took their toll on equities. It has been trapped in a range between around 6,400 to 6,800 since late October.
"I don't think the traction is there to really push us back to the highs that we saw earlier this year,"
"We maintain our view that
Trading volume in
Bankers are working on debt financing packages of around £5bn to back a potential sale of Morrison to private equity funds, banking sources said.
Morrison, which is 9.5 per cent owned by the founding family, has contacted buyout firms to gauge their interest in taking the business private after a fall in Christmas sales,
Firms trading without the attraction of their latest dividend knocked a hefty 14 points off the index - namely
Most Popular Stories
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- FDIC Sues Big Banks Over Rate Manipulation
- Stocks Close Lower Ahead of Crimea Vote
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March
- FDIC Accuses Big Banks of Fraud, Conspiracy
- Jittery Investors Dumping Russian Stocks
- Is Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in Andaman Sea?
- Ulta Shares Look Good on Strong Q4