"The ability for marketers and others to recognize where a particular device is located is actually an unintended consequence of technologies like wifi," said Schoen. "It's not a designed-in feature - it's something that people are taking advantage of, and it should be viewed as a security problem and fixed."
FTC Spring Privacy Series: Mobile Device Tracking
Senior Staff Technologist Seth Schoen
For the full FTC announcement:
Most Popular Stories
- Major Phone Makers Sign Anti-Phone-Theft Pledge
- India Recognizes Transgender People as 'Third Gender'
- 'Beige Book' Federal Reserve Survey, April 2014: Full Text
- Brands Get Caught in Bitter-Tweet Traps
- Michael Bloomberg Takes Aim at the NRA
- U.S. Job Market Still Needs Fed Stimulus: Yellen
- Yellen Remarks, Market Data Give Stocks a Boost
- Dems in Energy States Back Away From Obama
- Man Arrested After Driving Stolen Car to Court Hearing
- Depp, Pfister Are Tech Philosophers