"The ability for marketers and others to recognize where a particular device is located is actually an unintended consequence of technologies like wifi," said Schoen. "It's not a designed-in feature - it's something that people are taking advantage of, and it should be viewed as a security problem and fixed."
FTC Spring Privacy Series: Mobile Device Tracking
Senior Staff Technologist Seth Schoen
For the full FTC announcement:
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March
- Is Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in Andaman Sea?
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder