A simple Google search uses a surprising amount of energy is used. A simple search term is sent to the broadband or Wi-Fi network, which is then routed through an air-cooled server bank, processes in enormous data and fired back to your screen, all in a matter of milliseconds.
All those data centers have to be cooled, maintained and above all powered, which makes
A capacity of 392 MW gross, enough power to about 140,000 houses, the Ivanpah solar power plant is the largest in the world and it hummed into action over the last few days. It deploys 173,500 heliostat mirrors spread over about 3,500 acres.
The plant focuses on solar energy on boilers located on 3 solar power towers, generating steam to turn a conventional steam turbine. The Ivanpah plant is predicted to reduce carbon dioxide emissions by more than 400,000 tons annually.
The fact is that all of these things, procuring power, investing in power plants, renewable power plants, they all make business sense, they make sense for the company to do so. We rely on power for our business.
As much as 34% of
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- Will Missing Malaysian Jet Prompt Aviation System Change?
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Obama Seeks to Stay Neutral in CIA-Senate Conflict