The New York Federal Reserve's manufacturing index for February came in at a positive 4.5, indicating modest growth in business activity.
The index slipped 8 points from January with the new orders index sliding close to zero, "indicating that orders were flat," the Fed said Tuesday.
Business leaders responding to the monthly survey continued to indicate optimism about business conditions six months ahead.
The index for general business conditions in six months rose to 39 while the index for new orders six months from now added 6 points to reach 45.3.
Respondents indicated optimism about hiring with the employment expectations index at 25.
Positive numbers in the indexes indicate growth.
Copyright 2014 United Press International, Inc. (UPI). Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Original headline: New York business index remains positive
Most Popular Stories
- Chobani Counters Competition With Expanded Lineup
- Pope Francis, Huge Crowd Joyously Celebrate Easter
- Automakers Turn to China to Fuel Sales Growth
- GM Boosting China Production Capacity
- GOP Making Bold Play for Oregon Senate Seat
- Report: Iran VP Says Row Over Reactor Resolved
- NASA's Space Station Robonaut Finally Getting Legs
- Confusion, Anger as Sunken Ferry's Relatives Wait
- Delay in Ferry Evacuation Puzzles Maritime Experts
- Putin: No Blocks to Boosting Relations With West