Asked about the possibility of a wage-scale hike in a recent interview with several news agencies, President
"If we do not take a small step so as to lift
Following a sales slump caused by the revelation in 2000 of vehicle defect coverups, the company is expecting to post a record consolidated net profit of
The labor union at
Under the leadership of Masuko, who became president in 2005, the automaker has made progress in improving its financial standing after conducting a public stock offering in January to buy back preferred shares held by four group companies.
Earlier this month, the company announced Masuko will be replaced by Managing Director
He suggested he will remain involved in the company's management at least until the end of fiscal 2016, the final year of the company's three-year medium-term business plan, saying, "I will keep fulfilling my responsibility" during the period of the plan.
In the plan, the automaker is aiming to sell 1.43 million vehicles globally in fiscal 2016, up some 30 percent from the outlook in fiscal 2013, by introducing strategic models such as the Pajero Sport and RVR.
Masuko meanwhile denied that the firm, which places importance on emerging markets such as
"We want to somehow make a turnaround in
He added the company plans to increase the production ratio of plug-in hybrid electric vehicles and electric vehicles to 5 percent in fiscal 2015 and then eventually to 20 percent in fiscal 2020.
Most Popular Stories
- Chobani Counters Competition With Expanded Lineup
- 'Beige Book' Federal Reserve Survey, April 2014: Full Text
- Jack White Records Songs, Releases Vinyl in Hours
- 420 Pot Holiday Tries To Go Mainstream
- Malaysia, Flight 370 Relatives Talk Financial Help
- GM Boosting China Production Capacity
- Automakers Turn to China to Fuel Sales Growth
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Delay in Ferry Evacuation Puzzles Maritime Experts
- Pope Francis, Huge Crowd Joyously Celebrate Easter