"Today's announcement makes it significantly safer to regulate and operate the voter-approved legitimate marijuana markets in
Instead, these businesses will have access to a full range of banking services. These services include accepting credit cards, direct depositing payroll checks, and more.
Federal regulators, especially those at the
There is still, however, more to do. Regulators must implement this new guidance in a timely manner. Even then, state and federal laws will remain in conflict with one another, and some financial institutions will continue to decline to provide banking services to legitimate marijuana businesses.
The only way we can come to a complete resolution of this issue is by passing the Marijuana Businesses Access to Banking Act, which Rep. Perlmutter and I introduced last July. This bipartisan bill deserves a hearing this spring, before more states move to create their own legitimate marijuana markets."
Read this original document at: http://dennyheck.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/federal-government-unveils-new-banking-access-guidance-for-marijuana
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Will Missing Malaysian Jet Prompt Aviation System Change?