Described as both "highly relevant" and "timely", the 9th African Symposium on
In light of the recent call by the
The symposium theme "comes at a time when most African countries are implementing medium-term development strategies anchored on good statistics to inform the process," Charles Lufumpa, Director of the
"The development path calls for a 'Data Revolution' in support of the post-2015 agenda, emphasizing the need for disaggregated baseline data to help monitor benchmarks, targets and development impacts."
Those targets and development impacts can only be measured if we have reliable data to begin with, experts say, with accurate and up-to-date records on births, deaths, marriages and other vital statistics.
"More than 100 developing countries around the globe do not have complete and functional civil registration and vital statistics (CRVS) systems," said Ponatshego Kedikilwe, Vice-President of
"The scandal of invisibility is a scenario where many people are born, their existence not documented throughout their lifetime, and eventually passing on without being accounted for, primarily because in Government records they just do not exist," he said, noting that the consequence of that invisibility is social exclusion. Identity is closely tied to human rights: the right to protection, education, employment; the right to own property, migrate or marry; and the right to vote.
To this end, the
The Government of
For his part,
"This symposium may be African, but its significance is global," Schweinfest declared. "To put it in a simple phrase:
Jointly organized by the
At the closure of the 9th symposium, it is the expected the following will be endorsed:
- A declaration specifying the commitments of Civil Registration Offices and NSOs in accelerating their efforts to reform the management and operations of CRVS systems for promoting good governance on the continent;
- Strategies to be adopted by countries in implementing the most efficient business processes to achieve a complete and efficient CRVS system in the shortest possible time;
- A time-bound for conducting country assessments and the development of national CRVS action plans in line with the declarations of the 2nd
- A statement on the inclusion of other statistical areas moving forward to 2063.
TNS 18EstebanLiz-140219-30FurigayJane-4640619 30FurigayJane
Most Popular Stories
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- California Establishes Center for Coffee Study
- FAA to Appeal Court Decision Allowing Commercial Drone Use
- Tesla's Alt-Energy Future Aims for Massive Lithium-Ion Battery Production
- Spotify Picking up Echo Nest
- Social Media Can Help a Company's Credit Line
- Lawful Immigrants Defend Driver's Licenses
- Taco Bell Rings Up Breakfast Menu
- New Chat App, Yik Yak, Causes Problems for Students