TRB is sponsoring a gathering of transportation and fiscal policy experts to discuss a new TRB report, Transportation Investments in Response to Economic Downturns (http://www.trb.org/main/blurbs/170114.aspx).
The event will take place on
The committee that authored the report finds that investing in transportation infrastructure can be an appropriate part of an economic stimulus program. The committee recommends programmatic changes to enhance the role of transportation infrastructure investments in future economic downturns and periods of prolonged high unemployment. While the committee has put forth a thoughtful argument about when and why transportation infrastructure investment should be part of an economic stimulus program, it also appreciates the debate and uncertainty about the benefits of such investments.
The goal of the discussion is to stimulate debate on this important issue in order to help ensure that spending on transportation infrastructure in any future stimulus is effective and fruitful. Those expected to participate in the event will include high-level officials representing transportation organizations; and federal, state, and local agencies and elected officials.
The committee chair,
The discussion will be audio cast for those not able to attend in person. Opportunities for virtual participants to provide questions or comments will be provided. Information on the audio webcast will be available on the National Academies homepage (http://www.nationalacademies.org/) on the morning of
A press release, which provides a brief summary of the report (http://www.trb.org/main/blurbs/170114.aspx), as well as a link to the full report, is available online.
TNS 30BautistaJude 140218-4640261 30BautistaJude
Most Popular Stories
- Chobani Counters Competition With Expanded Lineup
- Nevada Range Showdown Draws Armed Supporters
- 'Beige Book' Federal Reserve Survey, April 2014: Full Text
- Iran Denounces U.S. Ruling to Sell Property
- Report: Iran VP Says Row Over Reactor Resolved
- NASA's Space Station Robonaut Finally Getting Legs
- Confusion, Anger as Sunken Ferry's Relatives Wait
- Fiat Chrysler to Build 3 Jeeps in China
- Ohio Couple Married 70 Years, Die 15 Hours Apart
- Hawaii is Genetically Engineered Crop Flash Point