The Serious Fraud Office said "criminal proceedings" have been started Monday "against three former employees at
"It is alleged they conspired to defraud between
Johnson and Mathew were said to be
The rate-rigging scandal had led to the resignations of Barclays chairman and chief executive and scrutiny of standards in many banks including the UBS,
"These criminal proceedings have commenced today by requisition, with the first appearance at Westminster Magistrates' Court on a date to be notified," the SFO stated.
Barclays declined to comment on Monday.
According to the Financial Times, Johnson was a U.S. dollar
Under a non-prosecution agreement with the
Investigation into how other benchmarks are set, such as in foreign exchange and commodities markets, has also commenced.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Will Missing Malaysian Jet Prompt Aviation System Change?