He says he was not served with the interim or final orders to stop construction at the site.
Jagadasan says the application is motivated purely by the city's need for "punishment".
This is the upshot of an affidavit he filed on Friday to oppose an application by the eThekwini Municipality to have him and his company,
The municipality brought an urgent application earlier this year for the interdict, arguing that the company had no approval to begin work on its R208 million development.
In papers filed in response to the urgent application, Jagadasan said: "There is no danger to members of the public or any other persons in relation to this project."
He also claimed that the interdict application was "an abuse of the court process".
The interim interdict was granted in September after the city argued in court papers that Rectangle had no approved plans for the site and had ignored stop work notices.
Two people were killed and 29 were injured when a portion of the mall collapsed on
The city had obtained the final order five days before the collapse.
In his replying affidavit in the contempt application, Jagadasan said the municipality had not alleged that he had been served with the orders.
"I was not served with the interim order or final order. Despite this lack of knowledge, I am now to be imprisoned."
He added that even if he had been served with the orders, he did not "cause the first respondent (Rectangle Property) to disobey" it.
He said the city's contention was that he "must have known" about the final order because of a letter written by Kershnie Govender, a representative of his former attorneys,
In that letter, which was sent to the municipality shortly before the final order was granted, Govender said the interim order had been "relief in final form" and there was "no reason" for the company to attend court on the return date,
Jagadasan said the letter was "never brought to his attention" and Govender also submitted an affidavit last Friday to confirm the assertions made by him.
While Jagadasan says that
He said as a result of the inquiry, all building had ceased and the site would probably be "condemned".
"There is little chance that any further building will take place. The application is purely punitive… the punishment is not calculated to coerce the respondents to comply with the (interdict) orders."
The application was adjourned indefinitely.
The commission of inquiry into the collapse of the mall will resume in April.
Most Popular Stories
- High-Tech Home Theaters Undergoing a Revolution
- Amazon Prime Grabs Classic HBO TV Series
- Sales of New Homes Fell 14.5 Percent in March
- Obama Opens Japan Trip with Sushi Stop
- Procter & Gamble Income Up on Cost Cutting
- Boeing Flying High With Strong First Quarter
- Hollywood Bets Big Again on Summer Movies
- Nestle, Superior Grocers Promote Healthy Meals
- Google, SunPower Team Up on Solar Power
- Bernanke Wishes He'd Explained the Crisis Better