Education, concluded W.B Yeats "is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." These words immediately sprang to memory upon reading about Mr
How well learners advance their skills rests with classroom delivery. Skill development calls for interactive as opposed to passive teaching techniques, more hands-on tasks in place of the usual chalk and talk. Acquainting teachers with the skills sought after in today's knowledge economies is only one step. Teacher training should also prepare educators well enough to nurture such competencies – abstract reasoning, problem analysis, communication, among others. Assessment too has to be tuned towards gauging empowerment rather than accumulation of knowledge which manifests in national examinations.
The benefits of a skill-oriented curriculum are not automatic. They are linked to the character of teacher education and how teachers are prepared to handle learners of the time. In
Science teaching methods have been the spotlight of teacher education over the years. Graduates of
History may not be as conspicuously vocational as other subjects. Teacher trainees at Ngetta, Kaliro, Unyama are equipped with techniques to teach O-Level history as appreciation of development over time. However, as they train to teach history, they can also be guided to the reality that beyond understanding change, essay writing sharpens communication skills, which they can nurture as they conduct history classes. Well articulated arguments moreover follow from demonstrating independent thought, another coveted skill.
Most Popular Stories
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- FDIC Sues Big Banks Over Rate Manipulation
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder