Three people were detained Sunday in
Two of the detainees were described as journalists who were among the dozens of protesters who took part in the unsanctioned rally at the Monument of Independence in central
It was the second such rally this weekend,
The crowd's ire was aimed at a decision made by the government last week to devalue the Kazakh tenge by 18.9 percent. RIA Novosti said the move trailed the recent weakening of the Russian ruble, which last month hit its lowest level against the U.S. dollar since 2009.
Some analysts believe the move was made to keep Kazakh oil exports competitive on the world market.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama, Ukraine Discuss Russian Incursion in Crimea
- Chinese May Have Spotted Malaysia Airlines Debris
- Social Media Causee Sleep Deprivation in Students
- First-time Jobless Claims Drop Unexpectedly
- Banks Buying Little From Minority Firms: Study
- General Electric Plans IPO of Credit Card Unit
- 'Candy Crush' Maker Files IPO
- First-time U.S. Jobless Claims Hit 3-month Low
- SXSW Crash Kills 2, Injures 23
- U.S. Business Inventories Up, Retail Sales Down