The Standard-and-Poor's 500 index rose eight points, or 0.5 per cent, to close at 1,838 Friday.
The Dow Jones industrial average rose 126 points, or 0.8 per cent, to 16,154.
The Nasdaq composite edged up three points, or 0.1 per cent, to 4,244.
The S-and-P 500 index climbed 2.3 per cent this week, the biggest gain so far this year.
Investors liked what they heard earlier in the week from incoming U-S Federal Reserve Chair
Most Popular Stories
- Photo ID Required for Unemployment Benefits
- Software Writers Sought in Indiana
- Ukraine Crisis Limits Losses in Gold, Silver
- Can GOP Dodge Immigration Bullet?
- Tech Firms to Increase Hiring for 4th Year in a Row
- Job Fair for S.C. Grads
- How Past Mistakes Will Drive Ukraine's Future
- Chiquita, Fyffes to Form Top Banana
- Millennials Favor Saving Over Investing: UBS
- Big Earthquake Rumbles Northern California