The race is on for faster adoption of cloud computing and mobile innovations in
According to research firm IDC, spending on cloud computing services will increase to
The adoption of cloud computing in the region has seen the evolution of local cloud services and a growing number of clients.
The Safaricom Cloud,
Most of these cloud vendors are targeting the lucrative SME market. Cloud-based services offered for SMEs include hosted e-mail, payroll processing and accounting software.
SMEs and entrepreneurs are using cloud computing technology to cut costs and refine their business ventures. Cloud computing is expected to redefine how organisations get and make use of their IT or computing services.
With this technology, organisations are able to use affordable software and infrastructure services that are outsourced and accessed through an Internet link.
Types of services
Software as a service (
The scramble for the region's market features local IT firms competing with established global cloud service providers.
Tech giants have for the past few years been flexing their muscles with gargets that are tailored for
Esmond Shahonya is an ICT analyst and comments on topical issues
Most Popular Stories
- Chinese May Have Spotted Malaysia Airlines Debris
- First-time Jobless Claims Drop Unexpectedly
- Obama, Ukraine Discuss Russian Incursion in Crimea
- U.S. Business Inventories Up, Retail Sales Down
- 'Candy Crush' Maker Files IPO
- Why Buffett Bets Big on Green Energy
- Jay Z, Kanye Delight Fans With Two-Hour Set at SXSW
- First-time U.S. Jobless Claims Hit 3-month Low
- General Electric Plans IPO of Credit Card Unit
- Accused Killer Texted Son Moments Before Shooting Man for Texting: Prosecutors