Secretary to the Treasury Keith Muhakanizi has asked the permanent secretary in the
The meeting followed Sunday Monitor's story last week of how the Shs300 billion project to support eight public universities in improving science education was at the brink of collapse after the
The meeting between Ms Lukwago, Mr Muhakanizi and officials from the Public Procurement and Disposal of
Asked whether Ms Lukwago yielded to the resolutions, Ms Muhakanizi said: "She agreed."Before meeting Ms Lukwago and the PPDA officials, Mr Muhakanizi and his deputy Patrick Ocailap had met AfDB officials and assured them that the bank procedures would be adhered to.
The Friday meeting resolved besides complying with the AfDB procedures, the Education ministry must follow the bank's recommendation to only expand the existing team, which had served satisfactorily and not to replace them.
Mr Muhakanizi said there would be another meeting tomorrow to ensure no other anomaly happens in the project. Meanwhile, the IGG has also been asked to investigate another Shs11 billion project funded by the
Apparently, the project is at risk of being cancelled due to a land wrangle between a relative of Ms Lukwago and the government. "It is now said that the PS is secretly in the process of carving out a piece of land for the relative on the edge of the proposed site, which is located in the plush Ntinda area," reads the IGG dossier.
When contacted, Ms Lukwago said she would not comment until the IGG officials have interviewed her. Ms Ali Munira, the IGG spokesperson, said: "We received the petition and the IGG is reviewing it to see how to proceed."
Most Popular Stories
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- Tesla's Alt-Energy Future Aims for Massive Lithium-Ion Battery Production
- Rand Paul Tops Presidential Straw Poll at Conservative PAC Conference
- China Urges Malaysia Flight Emergency Response
- New Chat App, Yik Yak, Causes Problems for Students
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum
- Gas Prices May Jump from Calif. Emissions Law
- Visa, MasterCard Team Up to Focus on Payment Security
- Obama Meets with Ukraine Prime Minister Wednesday