Cross-pollination of ideas among scientific disciplines is key to creative solutions, a U.S. nanotechnology pioneer says.
Building networks of outstanding scientists, engineers and clinicians will promote development of creative solutions to complex societal needs in an age of specialization,
Mirkin is the founding director of the
Mirkin discussed the IIN from inception to realization in a presentation titled "
"The IIN provides the essential framework to overcome traditional divisions between university departments and schools," Mirkin said in a
The IIN is an umbrella organization for interdisciplinary research into transformative nanotechnologies including nanomedicine, nanomaterials and devices, nanotechnology for energy, the environment, security and defense, and nanotechnology solutions for food and water.
"It has enabled us to attract researchers with deep expertise in their fields, support and enable creative synergy, enhance translational capabilities and build one of the largest and most productive nanotechnology institutes in the world," Mirkin said.
Most Popular Stories
- Dmytro Firtash, Ukrainian Billionaire, Arrested in Vienna
- Obama, Ukraine Discuss Russian Incursion in Crimea
- Federal Gov't Deficit Continues to Decline
- Russia Holds Large Military Drills in South
- Calumet Photo Files for Bankruptcy
- Venezuela Death Toll Reaches 28
- Ukraine Moves Closer to Joining E.U.
- Ukraine Loan Delayed While Congress Goes on Vacation
- Herbalife Puts Off Meeting for Icahn Talks
- Navarro Celebrates 2 Years of Vida Mia