Eleven of the 13 subgroups closed higher, led by gold at 196.78, up 7.48 points, or 3.95 per cent.
Metals and mining led the decliners, dropping 17.80 points, or 2.11 per cent, to 825.28.
The T-S-X 60 index was up 5.21 points to 802.68.
Most Popular Stories
- Major Phone Makers Sign Anti-Phone-Theft Pledge
- India Recognizes Transgender People as 'Third Gender'
- 'Beige Book' Federal Reserve Survey, April 2014: Full Text
- Brands Get Caught in Bitter-Tweet Traps
- Yellen Remarks, Market Data Give Stocks a Boost
- Michael Bloomberg Takes Aim at the NRA
- U.S. Job Market Still Needs Fed Stimulus: Yellen
- Dems in Energy States Back Away From Obama
- Is This Job Too Good to Be True?
- Man Arrested After Driving Stolen Car to Court Hearing