Eleven of the 13 subgroups closed higher, led by gold at 196.78, up 7.48 points, or 3.95 per cent.
Metals and mining led the decliners, dropping 17.80 points, or 2.11 per cent, to 825.28.
The T-S-X 60 index was up 5.21 points to 802.68.
Most Popular Stories
- Dmytro Firtash, Ukrainian Billionaire, Arrested in Vienna
- Obama, Ukraine Discuss Russian Incursion in Crimea
- Obama's Overtime Initiative Praised, Condemned
- Republicans Warn Obama on Immigration
- Liberty Media Drops Sirius Bid
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- Calumet Photo Files for Bankruptcy
- FDIC Sues Big Banks Over Rate Manipulation
- Uli Hoeness, Bayern Munich President, Gets Prison for Tax Evasion
- West Readies Harsh Sanctions Against Russia