The S&P/TSX composite index closed up 53.11 points at 14,054.7 after closing above the 14,000 threshold Thursday for the first time since
The Canadian dollar closed down 0.05 of a cent at
"(Weather) is a big deal and it will have an impact on the numbers," said
"But the extent that you can blame the weather is still up for debate. It's a factor but is that the overriding factor? And I think you won't really figure that out until we get a month where there hasn't been interference from the weather."
The Dow Jones industrials jumped 126.8 points to 16,154.39, the Nasdaq was 3.36 points higher at 4,244.03 and the S&P 500 index rose 8.8 points to 1,838.63.
Other data showed that economic growth across the eurozone was stronger than expected as gross domestic product grew by 0.3 per cent in the fourth quarter from the previous quarter. That adds up to an annualized rate of about 1.2 per cent. Analysts had been looking for fourth-quarter growth of 0.2 per cent.
The TSX gold sector gained about two per cent as April bullion advanced
The base metals component was ahead 0.83 per cent, with March copper up
Financials were up 0.51 per cent following a number of positive earnings reports this week from insurers.
The energy sector declined 0.19 per cent. Oil prices declined in the wake of the U.S. factory data as March crude on the
On the earnings front,
And sports equipment company
Strong earnings news and positive economic data pushed the TSX up 1.95 per cent this past week while the Dow industrials surged 2.28 per cent.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Will Missing Malaysian Jet Prompt Aviation System Change?