Forbes' third-annual "30 Under 30" list tallies the brightest stars in 15 different fields under the age of 30.
National Education Association Student Program Chair
"The NEA Student Program has continued to evolve and improve as the preprofessional organization for educators; the Forbes honor is not directly reflective of my individual work, but is a testament of the impact our 60,000 members have in each of their communities," says Tjaden, who received his Master of Arts in social studies education through the
Tjaden lobbied several members of
"We want the country's best and brightest college students in our teacher preparation programs," he says. "But we know it's difficult to recruit those students into the teaching profession when they are going to be graduating with tens of thousands of dollars in debt."
Tjaden continues to emphasize the importance of activism when delivering speeches and in meetings with NEA students and members throughout the country.
"We are at a pivotal point in the discussion of who should lead the conversation about the direction of education in this country," said Tjaden. "Being a great teacher now also means being an advocate for our profession. It is my goal to ensure that our 60,000 members have the knowledge, skills, and tenacity to be the voices and leaders of our profession."
The NEA Student Program was founded in 1937 and now has nearly 60,000 members representing over 1,100 college/university campus chapters in 50 states.
TNS 30TagarumaMar-140214-4638200 30TagarumaMar
Most Popular Stories
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- Rand Paul Tops Presidential Straw Poll at Conservative PAC Conference
- Tesla's Alt-Energy Future Aims for Massive Lithium-Ion Battery Production
- New Chat App, Yik Yak, Causes Problems for Students
- China Urges Malaysia Flight Emergency Response
- Gas Prices May Jump from Calif. Emissions Law
- Visa, MasterCard Team Up to Focus on Payment Security
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum
- Obama Meets with Ukraine Prime Minister Wednesday