Cdn mfg sales slide
The S&P/TSX composite index bolted upward 101.16 points to close Thursday at 14,001.65
The Canadian dollar improved
Enbridge Inc reported a fourth-quarter loss, mainly due to losses on hedging contracts.
West Fraser Timber Co Ltd reported a slight decline in adjusted fourth-quarter profit on Thursday as higher lumber prices were outweighed by reduced shipments.
Slightly stronger-than-expected growth in
On the economic front, Statistics Canada reported that manufacturing sales in
Investors may not be giving the markets much love Friday, with little in the way of major corporate or economic news to provide a spark.
Ahead of the opening bell, futures for the Dow Jones Industrials inched forward eight points to 15,987. Futures for the S&P 500 dropped one point to 1,823, and futures for the NASDAQ gained eight points, or 0.2%, at 3,659.
In corporate news, Jos. A. Bank shares rallied in pre-market trading after the clothing retailer announced that it was acquiring
Also, companies including Campbell Soup and Hyatt Hotels were set to release quarterly results before the opening bell.
Kraft Foods shares rose in after-hours trading Thursday following quarterly results that beat expectations.
U.S. stocks finished higher Thursday. The Dow Jones industrial average has made gains in five of the last six trading days.
European markets were firmer in morning trading, drawing some support from slightly stronger-than-expected fourth-quarter growth figures. Euro-zone GDP rose by 0.3%, compared with the third quarter, and rose by 0.5% compared to the year-ago quarter, in its first sign of annual growth since 2011.
Asian markets ended mixed, with gains in
Oil prices dipped
Gold prices added
Most Popular Stories
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Taco Bell Rings Up Breakfast Menu
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum
- California Establishes Center for Coffee Study
- 'Holy grail of guitars' OM-45 Deluxe Available in in NY Auction
- China Urges Malaysia Flight Emergency Response
- Justin Bieber Loses Cool Over Selena Gomez
- For Obama, a Last Stab at Improving Ties with Capitol Hill
- Maya Angelou Cancels Milagro Gala Appearance Due to Illness