"We need a federal GMO labeling solution that will protect consumers and ensure the safety of food ingredients made through the use of modern agricultural biotechnology," said ASA President
The Coalition stated in a media conference call earlier today that such a federal GMO labeling solution would:
- Eliminate Confusion: Remove the confusion and uncertainty of a 50 state patchwork of GMO safety and labeling laws and affirm the
- Advance Food Safety: Require the
- Inform Consumers: The
- Provide Consistency: The
"Biotechnology has been a huge benefit for our producers, and we believe that a single, federal standard for labeling of GM technology is the best solution to balance the needs of consumers with the capabilities of producers," said Gaesser. "We are proud to be a member of the
Facts About GMOs (www.FactsAboutGMOs.org)
- Many of the most influential regulatory agencies and organizations that study the safety of the food supply, including the
- GM technology adds desirable traits from nature, without introducing anything unnatural or using chemicals, so that food is more plentiful.
- GM technology is not new. In fact, it has been around for the past 20 years, and today, 70-80% of the foods we eat in
- Ingredients grown using GM technology require fewer pesticides, less water and keep production costs down. In fact, GM technology helps reduce the price of crops used for food, such as corn, soybeans and sugar beets by as much as 15-30%.
- One in eight people among the world's growing population of seven billion do not have enough to eat, and safe and effective methods of food production, like crops produced through GM technology, can help us feed the hungry and malnourished in developing nations around the world.
For further information, please visit www.CoalitionForSafeAffordableFood.org .
TNS 18EstebanLiz-140214-30FurigayJane-4637372 30FurigayJane
Most Popular Stories
- Dmytro Firtash, Ukrainian Billionaire, Arrested in Vienna
- Obama, Ukraine Discuss Russian Incursion in Crimea
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- Obama's Overtime Initiative Praised, Condemned
- FDIC Sues Big Banks Over Rate Manipulation
- Liberty Media Drops Sirius Bid
- Republicans Warn Obama on Immigration
- Uli Hoeness, Bayern Munich President, Gets Prison for Tax Evasion
- West Readies Harsh Sanctions Against Russia
- Calumet Photo Files for Bankruptcy