Teck said its net profit for the quarter ended
However, excluding one-time items, Teck's adjusted profit of
In addition, Teck's fourth-quarter revenue fell nearly 13 per cent from a year earlier, dropping to
"However, prices for all of our key products were down compared to last year, resulting in lower profits and cash flows than in 2012," Lindsay said in a statement.
Copper prices in the fourth quarter were down 10 per cent compared with a year earlier, while coal prices were down 11 per cent.
The price of zinc was down two per cent, silver was down 36 per cent and molybdenum was down nine per cent. Lead was off four per cent.
In its outlook, Teck said while it expects that the longer term fundamentals for steelmaking coal, copper and zinc are favourable, the recent market weakness may well persist for some time.
The company also noted the recent decline in the loonie's value has helped the competitiveness of its Canadian operations, but will, to a lesser extent, raise some of the company's costs.
For the full year, Teck earned
Teck reported a full-year adjusted profit of
Most Popular Stories
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- Rand Paul Tops Presidential Straw Poll at Conservative PAC Conference
- Tesla's Alt-Energy Future Aims for Massive Lithium-Ion Battery Production
- China Urges Malaysia Flight Emergency Response
- Visa, MasterCard Team Up to Focus on Payment Security
- Gas Prices May Jump from Calif. Emissions Law
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum
- New Chat App, Yik Yak, Causes Problems for Students
- Taco Bell Rings Up Breakfast Menu