Globology, a firm that has operated ferry services in
It said the capital injection by DOB Equity, a
"DOB's investment is going to enable us to roll out another 17 ferries over six years, mainly on
The two did not disclose the breakdown of the equity-debt injection. The entry of private ferry operators on
Over the period, passenger transport on the Kenyan section of second largest fresh water lake in the world had been left in the hands of wooden boat operators on the lake, sometimes with disastrous consequences given these boats are accident-prone.
Other than Globology, Mbita Ferry Services has also been running ferry services further south on the lake since 2012, with at least three ferries in service.
Mbita Ferry has two ferries plying the Mbita-Luanda K'Otieno route, and another one plying the Mbita –Mfangano Island route. The company also offers boat services around Kisumu, Usoma,
READ: Boost to
Globology, which operates a private ferry service between the mainland in
He said DOB's investment would help start-off the ferry building work, with each ferry commissioned in turn contributing towards the construction capital of the remaining ones, through ploughed-back revenues.
Globology operates a 50-passenger capacity ferry, but subsequent acquisitions will double this capacity, according to
Most Popular Stories
- #myNYPD Twitter Campaign Backfires for NYPD
- Justin Bieber's War Shrine Pic Causes Flap
- First Lady Announces Job Site for Veterans
- Wellness Programs Grow More Popular With Employers
- Tesla Expanding its California Operations
- Google, SunPower Team Up on Solar Power
- Boeing Flying High With Strong First Quarter
- Procter & Gamble Income Up on Cost Cutting
- Retirement: Why $1 Million Won't Be Enough
- FedEx Sued Over Deadly California Bus Crash