Singleton has first-hand experience of working with the rapper and actor after he starred in his 1993 film "Poetic Justice" with Janet Jackson.
"Tupac was the guy who I planned to do a lifetime of films with," Singleton said. "His passing deeply affected my life as well as countless people in this world. His life story is as important to my generation."
The Hollywood Reporter said the "Boyz N The Hood" director had been involved with the film two years ago but a deal was never reached.
But now he is said to be rewriting the screenplay before directing and producing the film which could start shooting in the summer.
It is not yet known who will play Shakur, who was shot dead in Las Vegas in 1996.
Shakur's mother Afeni Shakur will be an executive producer on the film.
In January it was announced that a Tupac Shakur musical, "Holler If Ya Hear Me," will open on Broadway in June.
(c) Sky News 2014
Original headline: John Singleton To Direct Tupac Shakur Biopic
Most Popular Stories
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Senate Dems Pull All-Nighter on Global Warming
- Senators Reach Deal on Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac
- GM Recall Poses First Major Test for New CEO
- El Empleo Rebota: La Columna Cohen
- Dianne Feinstein Accuses CIA of Spying on Congress
- Swedish Journalist Nils Horner Shot Dead in Kabul
- Deborah Hersman Quits NTSB
- Job Openings Less Than Expected in January
- Bob Crow Remembered as Shrewd Champion of Union Workers