The motion picture academy will present a live Oscar Concert in the days leading up to the 86th annual Academy Awards that celebrates the year's nominated music. The
The show is open to the public, with tickets at Ticketmaster for
"We expect to have a full house very quickly because it's really a one-of-a-kind concert," said
While the inaugural Oscar Concert won't be televised, Fox said the plan is to make the program an annual event broadcast on TV and cinecast — projected in movie theaters — across the globe.
"We hope it's going to be an annual thing because every year there's such a great level of quality music being written for film, and it goes out to the whole world," he said.
The music at the Oscar Concert really will be one-of-a-kind: Each nominated composer is preparing a "suite," a composition that uses elements from the film score, specifically for the show. Each will also discuss their work onstage.
Imagery from the films associated with the music will be displayed on a big screen, but no film clips will be shown so there is no distraction from the performances, Fox said.
"The film is accompanying the music," he said, "instead of the other way around."
On the program: Five-time Oscar winner
As for the original songs,
The nominated songs' original performers, including
The Oscar Concert is "Oscar's celebration of music," Fox said, which sets a festive tone for show week.
"This is the lead-up to the Oscars," he said. "It's going to feel like it's part of an Oscar show, but it's just a preamble to help build up all the excitement."
Follow AP Entertainment Writer
Most Popular Stories
- Fuentes Makes NAHREP's Top 10 List
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- BofA CEO Gets a 77 Percent Pay Bump
- Gazprom Warns Ukraine to Pay Its Gas Bill
- Ukraine Says Russia Can't Have Crimea
- FBI Investigating For-Profit Prison Company
- Alan Mulally Gets Big Payday From Ford
- 'Holy grail of guitars' OM-45 Deluxe Available in in NY Auction