In U.S. economic news, investors were reluctant to make any big moves before Tuesday's congressional testimony by Fed Chair
In international economic news, European markets closed narrowly mixed, while most Asian markets ended with sizable gains.
The dollar gained ground against the euro, the pound, and the yen. Light sweet crude oil for March delivery rose
The Dow Jones industrial average added 7.71, or 0.05 percent, to 15,801.79. The broader Standard & Poor's 500 index gained 2.82, or 0.16 percent, to 1,799.84. The technology-heavy Nasdaq composite index rose 22.31, or 0.54 percent, to 4,148.17.
--SPA 11:28 LOCAL TIME
All Rights Reversed for Saudi Press Agency Provided by Syndigate.info, an Albawaba.com company
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence