Our news journalists obtained a quote from the research, "Most of the proteins with significant changes are involved in apoptosis, cytoskeletal remodeling, and epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition. These processes are associated with increased chemoresistance and progression of pancreatic cancer. Among the differentially expressed proteins, heme oxygenase-1 (HO-1) was found in the sunitinib and imatinib mesylate treatment groups, which possibly acts as a specific target for synthetic lethality in combinational treatment. HO-1 was found to play a key role in sensitizing the chemoresistant Panc-1 cell line to drug therapy. Viability was significantly decreased in Panc-1 cells cotreated with sunitinib and imatinib mesylate at low doses, compared to those treated with sunitinib or imatinib mesylate alone."
According to the news editors, the research concluded: "The results suggest that induction of chemosensitization by manipulating specific molecular targets can potentiate synergistic chemotherapeutic effects at lower, better tolerated doses, and in turn reduce the toxicity of multidrug treatment of pancreatic cancer."
For more information on this research see: Proteomic strategy for probing complementary lethality of kinase inhibitors against pancreatic cancer. Proteomics, 2013;13(23-24):3554-62. (Wiley-Blackwell - www.wiley.com/; Proteomics - onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1615-9861)
Our news journalists report that additional information may be obtained by contacting
Keywords for this news article include: Biotechnology, Oncology, Peptides, Proteins,
Our reports deliver fact-based news of research and discoveries from around the world. Copyright 2014, NewsRx LLC
Most Popular Stories
- Chobani Counters Competition With Expanded Lineup
- Reid: Bundy Backers Are 'Domestic Terrorists'
- Ex-BP Employee Settles Insider Trading Charges
- Venture Investments in U.S. Highest Since 2001
- Colo. Cleantech Program Calls for Entrepreneurs
- Unemployment Rates Down, Job Gains Up in March
- Hiring Fair for Veterans, Job Seekers
- Recordings Reveal a Not-So-Nice Martinez: Editorial
- VW Beetle Marks 65th Year in U.S.
- The Biebs Crashes Drake's Release Party