At the inauguration of the Bangalore India Bio summit, the CM said the Millennium Biotech Policy of 2009 is completing five years this year, "and the
This policy was initially announced in 2001, and the government revised it in 2009.
One of the provisions of this policy was setting up of Biotech Finishing Schools (BTFS) across
The state government has so far set up 12 BTFS at Gulbarga,
Experts say biotech is a major sector in
About 70% of the 400-odd biotech and life sciences companies in
Moreover, there are about 10,000 professionals and researchers working in the biotech and life sciences space in
Leading biotech firms hire about 800-1,000 every year, with almost 80% of the new recruits comprising freshers.
"Convergence of IT and biotech will benefit
'NGOs spreading fear about Bt food'
"The population growth will present enormous challenges. With overpopulation, we will need tremendous increase in food. We will need science and engineering to progress. The pollution that is there can be also repaired through technology," said Montagu, who is also the founder-chairman of the
Stating that some people tell lies about science and "block research and do damage," Montagu said "we have to explain as to why science has an opportunity and can bring change to society."
Winner of the 2012 Nobel Prize for physiology, Sir
Great prospects for BT sector
Estimates by the
A biotech park is being set up at Electronic City called the
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Is Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in Andaman Sea?